Tuesday, January 13

Homesick, maybe

It’s enrollment week at university and I’m back living in the dorms. One night in and, surprisingly, I already feel homesick.

I have been living separately from my family since high school and this angst rarely gets me. This morning is rather odd because, honestly, I only miss home a few weeks in the semester or when vacation’s coming up.

I realized this homesickness when I was in the shower. I start my day with a bath, but it was a cold morning so I wanted to get one quickly. I got in the stall, turned on the shower and, lo and behold, freaking freezing cold water sprayed at me. I could hear my teeth clatter and feel my legs shiver. However, I had no choice. I gritted my teeth and bathed hastily. In the middle of it all, a feeling of longing took over. I missed our heater at home, where I could get warm water and take my bath in peace.

After bathing, I had to go out and buy breakfast. I realized, again, just how I missed home, where warm meals are ready on the dining table when you have to eat. Or where you could cook up something you like.

At the end of the day, I had free time after I finished enrolling. I wanted to kill time online, but I had to leave the comfort of my room to get connected to wi-fi in the lobby. And then I started missing home again, where I can get wi-fi pretty much anywhere and my device connects automatically without the need for proxy settings.

I don’t know if I actually am homesick, but I am sure I do miss home.


Also, when will the cold days be over? Cold baths are a pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment