Sunday, March 1

Crutches in the corner

Last year, I sprained my right ankle and spent about two weeks going to my classes walking with three legs (read: left leg and a pair of crutches).

It was a difficult period to have to walk with crutches, to say the least. My shoulders and underarms were extremely sore in the first few days. I got slight blisters on my palms. I am always exhausted at the end of the day, preferring to sleep over any school or org work.




On a lighter note, people (my dear friends!) who would lend a helping hand as I went building to building around campus, and up and down stairs and jeeps and cars now occupy a special place in my heart. Teachers who would announce that they won't be holding classes next meeting or gave free cuts became instant favorites. I felt relief more than anything for cancelled classes during this time for a thousand and one reasons.

In the end, I got a few good things out of an unfortunate event: muscle workout for my arms and chest, realization of the importance of a limb that has always been left for granted , and a support system with a lot of lovely people. (Yes, I was able to confirm that I have surrounded myself with people who would readily assist when needed.)

Now, the pair of crutches is left standing literally in a corner of the room, collecting dust. They were my best friends back then, taking on my weight and sweat-stench most days. But I do not want to have them as a necessity again any time soon, or not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment