Monday, September 5

Of Exams

I am (brain) dead for the night.

Today, I took my second long examinations in Chemistry 16 in the morning and Trigonometry late in the afternoon. Chemistry is considered as one of my major subjects, weighing a hefty five units. The long exams I have taken with this subject would be worth more than a hundred points. On the other hand, Trigonometry is lighter in weight and has exams worth just about 50 points. But do not be fooled by the point systems. Both subjects are as complex as ever.

Studying for both exams at the same time is necessary, but not at all efficient. I have to spend several hours on one subject, rest for less than an hour, then another several hours on the other subject. Everything over the weekend. Every topic, ideas and details forced into my head in two and a half days.

Don't hate me for cramming, though. The last weekend of August was a long one and I just have to enjoy it. Thus, I have completely forgotten about the long exams until two days ago, or so I say.

I imagined the test making my head all mushy midway because of complicated problems, knowing how Doc Q does it. I though of bringing a magical pen to help me in the multiple choices part. Just before looking at my test paper, I even got this sinking feeling in the pit of stomach because I have not memorized the periodic table of elements, as Doc Q warned us to do.

To my surprise, I was able to answer everything with the confidence of a man who has comprehended his lessons by heart. Well, I was pretty sure of the accuracy and precision of most of my answers and that's that.

Tests are never complete without the items that stop me on my tracks and make me panic. I would have to stop, breathe and take everything slowly just to get through each of those items.

The best part of the exam is when I can breathe normally again. It is the moment when I scribble the last stroke of the letter or figure of my answer. It is the moment when I can finally say that I am done. Most of all, it is the moment when most of the things I have studied suddenly disappear in my head like a bubble that just popped and is gone for good.

As I have said, consider me dead for the night, or what's left of it, because I shall celebrate my survival of today in Dreamland. Walking building to building around campus can make me physically tired, but answering two major tests on the same day just sucked out all that's left of my energy. (And I'm getting hungrier by the minute. What's happening to my metabolism?) Well, at least I did not collapse and was not rushed to the Infirmary.

Next stop: Chemistry 16 laboratory Practical Exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment