Thursday, August 9

Rain won't dampen the Filipino Spirit

From the deep abyss of her bed, the blogger gets up as if one of the living dead.

Somehow, I do feel like a zombie because of the consecutive days of suspended classes due to this infernal weather of torrential rains and strong winds that poured from the weeping heavens. I may complain about my academic hiatus (that I shouldn't have in the first place because I still have a pile of school work to finish) and how it made my mind mushy, but that would be very selfish of me. However, I would definitely tell everyone how proud I am of the Filipinos who helped their fellow citizens in the recent calamity. It should be noted that the calamity did not reach any storm signal. It was not even a typhoon but monsoon rains-- heavy monsoon rains that went on for more than 24 hours at that. It was also preceded by the typhoon "Gener", so I think the effects of the previous rains were not, uhm, washed off yet.



Anyway, there's always a rainbow after the storm, right? For us Filipinos, there's always the kind-hearted people who share their blessing to those in need as the rainbow. Relief operations were spearheaded by many organizations, local government units, churches, schools and what-not. I wouldn't comment on how awful the faces and names of politicians on canned goods, plastic bags and other relief ops paraphernalia and the abusive politicking in a calamity because that would definitely dampen some spirits.

In UP, we have the Isko Operation where people can donate, volunteer and be deployed to affected areas to distribute the goods. There were also relief operations in Ateneo and other colleges and universities. Isn't it awesome how students become aware of their social responsibilities when calamity strikes but some would still be ignorant otherwise?

I was able to donate some food stuff earlier today and volunteered in re-packing personal essentials. I felt fulfilled today-- fulfilled than the rest of the week, or even the whole semester, combined. I'm telling you: it feels so good to be able to do things for others without any compensation, except for the hope they will get on the other end of the line.

Taken using a 1.3MP camera-phone

I was told that the Isko Operations would go on until Saturday and I hope more people and donations will come, not just the people who was there till it started.


You can read about the rain and its effect in here, here and here.

Here's a link about the Ateneo's relief ops. (Can someone give me a link to Ateneo Dream Team's site? And other sites regarding relief ops? Thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment