Friday, July 15

College Life Month-sary

I am celebrating my first month as a college student in the University of the Philippines today. I am proud to say that I have learned a lot in a month’s time. Therefore, I will have a very long list of topics to study for the final exams of each subject by the end of the semester. But I won’t be dealing with the pressures of the acads right now, though I know a lot of people who will relate.

What I really want to do is to share my thoughts about the people who stay in front of the classroom and talk about anything under the sun with conviction and you just can't stop yourself from listening.

Since I am a Chem-major student, I am supposed to enjoy my Chemistry class, right? Quite frankly, I am. And that's without the bias of my major.



I find my Chemistry lecture professor very interesting. He is one of the proponents of C2 Green Tea. When he gives examples, he has two major reasons why he always have to give the name and the molecular formula of a certain chemical. First, to show off how good he is in Chemistry. Second, to help us get used to all the chemical names and formulas. We should know them all by heart. He teaches us not only the lessons in the syllabus but how to be the chemists we ought to be.

Next will be my Chemistry laboratory instructor. She graduated last year and this is her third semester to teach. She's not as strict as the other teachers on what kind of notebook to use for our pre-labs. She always finds time to supplement our lecture discussions by answering some of the examples during lecture with a different solution. Recently, she held a quizbee as a review for our upcoming long exam in Chem. I would like to pride myself by saying our group finished off with the highest score. Booyah!

There are also subjects that are quite integrated that the lesson of one is enhanced by the other. I'm talking about my Social Science 2 and English 1 classes. For one thing, we tackle critical reading and writing in English 1. In Soc Sci, we have to read certain works of Western philosophers and try to critique them. I am applying while learning the concepts at the same time.

My Math professor teaches with maternal care, that's why we all understand the lessons no matter how complex it is. After all, she is pregnant for goodness-knows how many months already. Whenever her chalk falls, she does not bother bend down but gets a new one. Every time she dismisses us, I always stop this urge to ask her when she will have her maternal leave. Now that would be disrespectful.

Earth Science was not really my thing in high school, and it got carried over in Geology. Though our professor's teaching tactics would be quite fun, I really have a hard time digesting all the terms, definitions and illustrations that she shows us. But nonetheless, we'll have a lot of field trips for this subject and that will really be about fun, fun and more fun!

College is not as simple as high school and way far from elementary but a balanced mix of acads, optimism, hard work, fun and God will help me reap a good harvest from my first semester to my last in college. And for now, let me rest for a while. I'm still a-celebrating my month-sary and no long exams can do anything about it.

1 comment: