Sunday, July 10

"Itlog Pugo"

I have always been fond of eating itlog pugo or quail eggs. Every time my mom and I chance upon a vendor, we always buy a pack. Once at home, I would effortlessly crack the eggs and pop them one by one into my mouth. Well, I often share the itlog pugo with my brother because he would be so annoying around me. The only way to stop him would be giving him a piece or two of what I’m eating.

Ever since God-knows-when, I have eaten quail eggs but have not asked if it is good for me. Or how can I make them tastier? Or where do the vendors get their supply of eggs? Or how can the mommy quails survive without their children? It never occurred to me that one day I will be looking for the answers to these questions.

When my adventure in Research began last year, I wandered mostly on topics on herbal medicines. They were the most common things in the Philippines, yet only little to no scientific proof of their power is known. In my proposal’s early stage, I have been pretty excited just thinking about what I would actually discover from these folkloric remedies.



Midway my quest though, I have been challenged. I had to make a decision whether to pursue my original proposal alone or to collect quail eggs and droppings with two others and “study” them. Many would call it “a life or death situation” for Research. I call it an opportunity. I chose the quails. I chose to continue my Research journey with two of my closest friends. I believe in the saying that friends divide the gloom and multiply the glee.

And thus the quail research began. I was able to find answers to some of the questions I mentioned earlier. We finally focused our study on how the quail will be able to digest an organism (Thraustochytrids) that we will be supplementing to its usual diet.

We were able to conduct our study during the summer. Yes, we were not able to “enjoy” our summer as teens our age do but I would not say that I wasted it.

I learned a lot. I learned facts I never knew about birds, specifically about quails. I learned how to care for the quails. I now know how they eat, lay their eggs, sleep and even poop. It is disgustingly true.

I also learned about Thraustochytrids. I never even knew it existed before Research.

Older students from Pisay would tell us before that “Research is horrific”. After my experience with the quails and their eggs, I have realized that Research is only horrible to those who have that mindset even at the start of the journey.

For me, Research is where you learn who you really are, what you are capable of doing and who your real friends are. Research is not just finding out what is correct, but it is quenching the thirst for knowledge of the curious and sharing them to the rest of the world.

To all the eggs out there, continue to nourish us, keep us curious and perpetuate your kind.

###

A/N: I have been cleaning my hardrive when I stumbled upon this old essay. I submitted this as one of the final requirements in our Research 2 class in high school. Most of my Research outputs are formally written but this one stands out. I will share it to the rest of the world because I am proud of it and because what we find out in Research should be shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment