Sunday, November 13

As I Rode The Jeepney

I had a classmate in a social science class who studies Malikhaing Pagsulat or Creative Writing in Filipino. One time, our professor asked her for her routine when she writes. She told the class that when she rides jeepneys, her creative juices flow more easily than when she is sitting down on a desk with a clean piece of paper waiting to be dirtied. She said it works in two ways: she gets to go where she needs to go while efficiently brainstorm, both to her advantage.

My train of thought was disrupted upon remembering that class. I believe my classmate was right. Jeepney rides may be conducive for sleeping to tired bodies, but there are people, like me, stare into space unconsciously watching their lives pass by. Then all of a sudden, they find themselves contemplating about everything under the sun.


It was then that I started watching other passengers. I wanted to take in all that I can outside myself. It seemed more interesting than watching re-runs of episodes and "what-if" scenarios of my life in my head.

A man in front of me has a bag full of toys. He didn't have a wedding band so I figured it wasn't for his own kids. I think he has good foresight because he bought toys while there Christmas rush is not yet in the air. And Toys 'R Us was having a big sale. The man might be giving the the toys to his younger siblings, niece, nephew, or even better, to charity. Either way, those kids are lucky to have him.

A lady at the back of the driver's seat was jittery. She kept on checking and tinkering her cellphone every time she wasn't. I thought that she might be waiting for her boyfriend's call because she missed his voice so bad since they have been away for about five minutes. Or maybe she was waiting for her mom's call to know whether her dad will survive the kidney operation. Or maybe she was anxious to hear from her colleagues whether the plan to assassinate the president pushed through. Or maybe at that moment the line between fiction and reality blurred and I found myself jumping to exaggerated conclusions. I did not even have any proof for any of my judgments.

There were a group of guys. They weren't little boys anymore, but I wouldn't call them adult men yet. They were horseplaying around with each other. They shared several punches, slaps, jokes and laughs. I was not sure if it was possible in a cramped jeep until I met them, horseplay that is. I did not want to eavesdrop, so I opted listen to their laughter instead. Then I had a flashback to the time when my best friends and I were also giggling in public about nothing but ourselves. I can't help but miss them, being so far from each other in college and all. I can only sigh.

Passengers came and went but I was still riding on the jeep. I wondered if the person next to me was also wondering what I was thinking, or if his mind was as deadpan as his face.

All of a sudden, I saw Oble (Oblation, the iconic symbol of our university) standing tall and proud welcoming everyone who enters the campus. I found myself smiling. I was about to get off soon, but I was already anticipating my next jeepney ride. What will I see then?

No comments:

Post a Comment