Wednesday, October 31

Flying in water

The sun was just above the horizon-- high enough to paint the world with golden sunbeams and confirm that dawn is over, low enough to only feel the soft warmth of the blazing ball of fire. I once read that the sun's light takes eight minutes to reach the surface of the Earth. I find it amazing that something from the past would be the very thing that can enlighten people to see the present and help pave the way toward the future.

A cool morning breeze blew.

A bit of water swelled into a small wave, encircling something invisible, growing a bit as it moved away, and instantly replaced by another small wave as soon as it left. One, two, ten, twenty, a hundred waves, and possibly more if they were left in peace, moved across the blue chlorinated water in uniform intervals like the tick and tock of a clock. Ripples. They have the same effect as dominoes falling down consecutively, only the waves become widespread, growing in all directions, instead of one linear motion.



Another gust of wind, stronger and colder. Green leaves and pink petals fluttered with it. It's time.

Heaving a sigh, I walked closer to the edge of the pool. I put on my goggles, raised my arms straight higher than my head, my right hand on top of my left, stepped a foot in front, bent my torso forward and sucked in a huge breath. I jumped, headfirst, into the pool. A splash and I was weightless, my whole body floating in the cool water. There might have been ripples over me but I did not see. My eyes were on the floor.

I started to kick, moving my legs up and down alternately. My arms scoop water, pushing me further forward. And they move continue in a circular motion, then reached forward to finish the stroke. On and on my body moves in the motion of freestyle swimming. The tiles were moving under me, or rather, I was floating away above them. This might be the closest thing I can ever be to flying on my own.

Breathing. Yes, I remembered I have lungs, not gills. I blew bubbles underwater to prepare for the atmosphere. As my right arm surfaced on my side, I instinctively turned my head also to the right and gulped in the needed oxygen. And just as I was out of the water, I was back in again, thrusting myself forward with kicks, scoops and the timed breaths. My body moved like clockwork.

Soon enough, I reached the other edge of the pool. I got up and hung on the gutter. I swallowed mouthfuls of air, filling my lungs to the brim. I swam the whole length of the pool without breaking a sweat. The sun has not risen much. The light breeze kissed my wet face. And ripples going in all directions.

I should swim some more. Another lap, or five, wouldn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment