Sunday, April 21

How to cook your egg, sunny-side up

Yesterday, I have finished a book. I am proud of this fact because it has been my summer vacation for two weeks yet I have not read a full novel. It has been a long time and I think my brain has dried out of its creative juices. So here I am, writing my time away, hoping to have my thinking machine oiled and tuned up, ready to create and recreate pieces of literature in my head and through my pen (or laptop, in this case).

To start my gears turning, perhaps a little how-to of a common household chore? Simple enough? Interestingly, the most trivial of things is what I find to be the most difficult to write. If you have not seen my previous post on brushing teeth, please check it out to understand my... situation.


So, I have roamed around the house to pick up a piece or two to write about. The kitchen, with its abundance of recipes, was my refuge for all things step-wise. Usually, these things are best presented with pictures, but I love challenges that I will write them in details instead.

Here we go.

First, collect all the things you need: frying pan, turner, cooking oil, egg, salt and plate. It is efficient to work with all the things needed are in place, instead of having to look for it as you go.

Place the frying pan on the stove. Turn on the stove and pour some cooking oil into the pan. If you want to be definite, two tablespoons of oil will do. Leave the oil for a while so that it gets hot. To test if it is hot enough, sprinkle water on the oil. If it is the right temperature, the drops of water would make a hissing sound, indicating the instant evaporation. When that happens, it is egg-cracking time!

Brace yourself. This could get nasty. Hold the egg in one hand, and the turner on the other. Hit the egg with the side of the turner, making sure that there is a linear crack. With that crack, the egg shell must have broken into half so that the egg yolk and egg white can pour down into the pan. Make sure no shell falls into the pan, unless you want your sunny-side up to be extra crunchy. Dispose the shells properly. Sprinkle some salt into the pan to taste.

Now you have two options for your sunny-side up: runny liquid yolk or well-done yolk. If you want the former, you can remove the egg from the pan using the turner as soon as the egg whites are opaque white instead of its raw translucent form. If you want the latter like I do, let the egg cook a little longer. The yolk should turn yellow when it gets there. Collect the egg and place it into a plate, and serve. And eat. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment