Tuesday, April 23

Summer so far

It is that time of the year again when our provincial capitol grounds play host to hundreds of people, locals and tourists alike, for the annual Aklan Piña and Fiber Festival. This includes booths of the different small and medium enterprises, local restaurants, and government units from every town in the province promoting their homegrown produce as part of the "One Town, One Product" advocacy.

Then, as the shops close for the night, food stalls are kept open and entertainment happens-- bands, dancers, singers, comedians. This part of the festival is called Tsibugan sa Kapitolyo, or crudely translated to be "a place to eat at the capitol." 

I have religiously visited the fair since my family brought me there to help out in my aunt's business's booth. Well, I was too small to even help my first time, but when I was mature enough, I have been lending a hand. Thus far, I have not missed a festival week.



Today, my brother and I visited the fair. There is the garden area where they sell flowers, seedlings and other gardening paraphernalia. I like coming to that area because I love taking pictures of the vibrant colors of the flowers and capture landscaping ideas for future references.



I actually don't know the name of this flower. Will check on that.
Water lily flower and pads. I figured, why not?
The camera conscious goldfish are staring at me. 
We continued to roam around the grounds, looking at creatively designed booths, curious products and food. Well, we did not just look at food, we bought and ate some, too.


Exhibit at the entrance, taken at night.
Products derived from piña cloth and similar local sources.
This contraption is traditionally used to weave piña fiber into piña cloth.
Our booth
The rest of the day was spent eating and chatting with our cousins while my brother and my nephew chased each other around the trade hall as if it were their playpen. It's a good thing everyone's acquainted with each other, or else we might have gotten a lot of complaints about the two kids.

I guess I could say that this is one of my summer vacation's highlights, because I know that I am home when I am there. I get to meet people that I have not seen for a long time-- elementary schoolmates who apparently can't recognize me anymore, family friends and the likes. It's when you realize how big your network can be. I get to eat great food without going farther. I get to promote province and its products even for one week every year. Aklan is not just Boracay; it is the home to many amazing things, such as piña cloth, and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment