Wednesday, June 8

To My Brother

Back in high school, traveling back to Iloilo means not seeing, feeling, hearing, smelling and tasting (say what?) my beloved family. Well, slash hearing. I can hear them every night whenever my mother calls me at night.

For four years, I got used to this get up. I was away from my comfort zone. I was away from my family, just like my sister. I have been following her foot steps, you see. We both studied in Iloilo and now I will be studying in Manila, just as she did. And boy did I miss her, especially when she only gets to go home from Manila on short vacations. Now that we have a little brother, the bunso (youngest sibling) who actually is bigger than me at the waistline, I wonder if he fills the same way I did when I was his age.



Now that I will be farther from home, missing my family and my dearest comfort zone is a bigger deal. I can't call them to buy me an airplane ticket because I want to go home in the middle of the week. I can't call them to fly to my side because I want a hug. I have to, again, survive without them by my side. And having the experiences from high school helps, more or less.

Our nest will have one less baby to take care. First my sister flew, then I, then (not so soon, I hope) my brother Jommel. At least my parents have one more and one last baby to pamper and care at home.

So to Jommel, the one who gets left behind, please take care of our parents. Although you get cranky and sour armpits and greasy hands most of the time, you are still the most thoughtful and cheerful in our family. Please don't beat the hell out of me while I'm still here in Aklan, but don't you dare forget me if I'm in Manila. You know that you are the only boy so be strong, keep your temper at the minimum and always share your blessings. I love you, dear brother!

PS.
I hope, dear Jommel, that you stop scratching me. It really hurts. Please, with rainbow sprinkles, chocolate syrup, your favorite ice cream flavors, cheese and cherry on the top?

No comments:

Post a Comment