Wednesday, August 10

Cheers to Raj

I make it a point to recognize friends who still have time to write outside of academic requirements. They continue to amaze me, especially as they juggle academics (which by itself is already difficult), organizations, family and friends.

Three months ago, I congratulated a certain high school batch-mate for having her essay published in a national newspaper (Philippine Star). She won in the paper's writing contest so her article got printed.


As I read through some news feeds in Facebook yesterday, I was amazed to find out that another batch-mate did the same feat.




It seems that my batch-mates are on the roll in the national printed media scene. This time, his essay was published in my favorite column, Youngblood, in the Philippine Daily Inquirer. I want to give a big congratulations to Raj Luz for having his work printed. Raj's "A Walk thru Dharavi" was about a certain part of his trip to India last summer.

I feel proud of them because their names were written in the papers and I know them personally. It is as if I want to show people their articles in the newspaper and tell people, "You know what? I know the guy who wrote this. Pretty cool, huh?" (And then I would expect strangers staring at me thinking I was a lunatic or something.)


I also feel proud because they show that students from Philippine Science High School are not geeks who only write technical reports of their research studies. These students can also write about anything under the sun that can touch people's hearts and minds near and far.

To Raj and Mia and to the young writers out there, continue doing what you do best. Keep on inspiring us using your words.


Here's a link to Raj Luz's A Walk Thru Dharavi.

No comments:

Post a Comment