Wednesday, August 3

Supposedly

She is supposed to be my batch-mate in UP. She is supposed to be studying right now, like us, for a college degree. And maybe she is supposed to be in one of my classes. I'm not sure. For all I know, she is not supposed to be carrying the burden of a baby in her womb yet.

I suppressed a gasp upon hearing this from her mother. I continued to eat the hotdog sandwich I just bought from their food stall. Her mother was talking to a friend, and, yeah, I have been eavesdropping. I am sorry for myself for having bad manners, but I am more sorry for this girl who is about my age and already practiced procreation as recreation.

Teenage pregnancy is not new in the Philippines anymore. However, meeting a pregnant teenager in person is both awkward and depressing. What was she thinking before they did the deed? How about during it? How about now that it happened?

What shocks me more is the manner her mother shares this to her kumare, who is as aghast as me. She spoke as carefree as if her daughter's pregnancy was not a big deal. To add to my uneasiness, she also said that her other daughter, older than my supposedly-batch-mate, is also pregnant and their due dates are in the same month. Let me stress that, the two preggy sisters are expected to give birth in the same month. What a coincidence!

By the way, the older sister married the father of her child a few months ago and is currently staying with his family. On the other hand, the younger sister can't marry yet but already stays with her beau. And their parents? Well, their children are grown up and they have left their nest sooner than expected. On the upside, the grandparents will have two babies to take care soon.

I finished my sandwich and left the stall hesitantly. My next class would start in a few minutes. As I walked to the next building, questions kept popping in my mind. Has she regretted this whole thing? Was it because of love or because of pressure? I even surprised myself when I asked what my parents' reactions would be like if I were in her shoes. I shuddered and shoved the idea into the back of my mind.

Then, I entered my classroom and the day goes as usual.

###

A/N: This was based on an actual experience when I took a snack in one of the food stalls in the UP-Diliman Campus. And as I heard, the sisters are due this month. Please pray for them and their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment