Tuesday, October 25

It's A Big Deal

In high school, I studied two provinces away from home. For four years, I have to ride a bus every weekend from home to school and vice versa. For four years going back and forth, I got used on riding buses all by myself. No big deal.

Now that I'm a college student, I study in Quezon City. Just last week, my final exams week ended, thus starting my sem-break. For me to go home, I have to either fly or swim to reach Kalibo.

Last Saturday, I checked in at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport by myself. I waited at the pre-departure area by myself. I flew on a plane all by myself. I arrived at the Kalibo International Airport and got my luggage by myself. Finally, my parents fetched me from the airport. Finally, I was home.

I have been riding on airplanes ever since I was six months old. Last Saturday was different because I did not have company but that's just it. It was another of my "no big deal" moment.

Yesterday, my mother told me to go to town by myself. She was already there and she'll be waiting for me at the church. And since my father left for a meeting earlier, I had to ride the local tricycle to commute.

You might think that I'm all used to travelling by myself. You might think of this as a trivial thing to do. You might think that riding a tricycle is simpler, and far safer, than riding a bus or an airplane. You might also think that I agreed to my mother's plan without hesitating.

The funny thing was, I freaked out by the thought of it all. As far as I can remember, I have not ridden a tricycle from home to town by myself. I was either brought to where I was going in a car or accompanied to it by riding a tricycle. Yes, I was spoiled this way.

But I really had to go to town. It was my birthday and it is our tradition to hear mass on our special day. At that moment, my heart was pounding hard and there was this sinking feeling at the pit of my stomach. Finally, I made up my mind to just get it all over with. I half-heartedly accepted the challenge, hopped into a tricycle and I was riding towards the town by myself.

With the cold wind of dusk whipping on my face, I added this moment to my mental list of "achievements", under "First Time", "By Myself" and "It's A Big Deal" categories. This is definitely a big deal, hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment