Monday, May 27

Taekwondo Day 21

So here's an update: my brother is a low yellow belt. He has been for a week now. Crazy, huh?

After three weeks of training as a white belt, he got promoted, along with other white belts, into yellow last May 19. I have been mentally kicking myself for not charging my camera's battery the night before his promotional test, hence, no pictures.

The gym was jam-packed with the students ready to be promoted and with families and guardians as spectators and supporters of their budding martial artists. There were about 30 white belts (first level in taekwondo), a few blues and a red, I think. The owner of the gym, a black belt herself, was also schedule for promotion that day. It was then I learned that black belts have different levels within itself and leveling up in taekwondo does not stop by having a black belt. The room was so hot it gave me a headache, but I did not want to leave my brother without seeing him perform his kicks and forms in front of the promotional officer in our region (I don't know what he is officially called, but that's what he is). By the way, this promotional officer is a black belt. 

They have a funny tradition: before giving the belt to the newly-promoted students, the promotional officer spanks their butt with the new belt. It was awkward, especially for the teenagers. Afterwards, the students, including my brother, were beaming. Achievement unlocked!

For a week now, my brother has been learning new techniques. He has been very proud of his new skills. He's been bragging, really. Yesterday, I caught him teaching my father the basics. Who says you couldn't teach an old dog new tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment