Friday, April 27

Book Adventures

There were power failures in the afternoons for almost a week now. As if on cue, the website I'm in would fail to load and the electric fan would stop spinning. Then my laptop beeps, which supposedly meant that it was unplugged from a power source.

Disappointed and irritated, I would turn off my laptop having nothing to do with it anymore. But then I start feeling grateful. I finally have time to get back to the printed pages of a book that I have left for cyberspace.

With a book at hand, I would open a door that leads to open air above a rooftop. (A porch wasn't built but the door stayed.) Having no electricity meant no electric fan to move cool air around. Fortunately, the afternoon breeze would be cool enough to keep me from sweating like a pig. I would set a throw pillow by the door ledge and sit on it cross-legged. Then, I would dive into the book ready for some adventure.


Books make me do things that I can never do even in a million years.

There were afternoons when I enjoyed the sun and the wind while soaring high above the Colorado sky with my 15-foot wingspan of cream-colored feathers alongside Max and the flock. (Maximum Ride novels by James Patterson)

There were early evenings when I was just rising from my grave to spot Nobody rushing to one of the mausoleums for his lessons in Fading, perhaps. You know, normal graveyard stuff. (The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman)

There was even this one time when I joined Axel and his uncle Professor Lidenbrock in their expedition underneath the the Earth's surface (which exhibited layers upon layers of rocks and minerals which can greatly excite geologists, as I have observed) in search for whatever's inside the globe. (Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne)

Oh, the wonders I might be in if only I were a character in a book. But then again, who would be writing this awesome blog? Ha ha!

I have been devouring books after books this summer, mostly about fantasies I will always keep dreaming about. You see, I believe that fantasy fuels imagination and that imagination makes learning effective and efficient. Having the right amount of imagination helps understand lessons better, such as coming up with a concrete examples when given an abstract concept.

Reading gave me a chance to relax while having fun while exercising my brain. Talk about multitasking, right?

Sometimes, reading has also made me indifferent. I would be too engrossed with book that I don't notice that the power's back. Or whenever my mom calls me to do some errands. Or when I have to take a bath. I instantly teleport to adventureland when I start reading, so bothering me would be a waste of time.

So, how's your book adventure coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment