Wednesday, April 18

Jazz Class

I tried the new Jazz dance class yesterday. As usual in Kalibo, I came in late. When I arrived, the class was already doing warm up exercises on the floor.

Arms stretched trying to reach the pointed toes. Knees kept locked to stretch the muscles of the legs. Arms gracefully moving in circular motions. Stiffening the abdomen muscles to make sure the exercise is done correctly. (Let's see if I get toned abs after this.)

When I said I wanted to go dancing again, I thought of the beat and the rhythm rushing through me, making my body move in harmony with the music. I thought of the twirls and shakes and sways and the joy I get going through the choreography. I thought of the satisfaction I get from all of these.


Instead, I get to do muscle stretches and re-learn a lot of basic techniques. I said re-learn because most of the exercises yesterday were familiar to me. I remembered plies and tendus from ballet ages ago. I also remembered the bends and twists from aikido just last semester. There was also the sitting positing when we stretched our trunk muscles that seemed to be the same as in yoga, based on my little knowledge of it that is.

I was sort of disappointed but it was basic jazz class after all. Technicalities are always a part of lessons, especially for beginners. But I really can't wait any longer to do some moving and grooving.

Over all, jazz class was pretty okay and I would love to get my body moving again this summer. Yesterday was just a trial session. I still have to talk to my parents about this but there is this big chance, about 80%,  that I will come back for the next sessions. There's still 20%, enough room to change minds.

Right now, my legs, my arms and my abdomen muscles, well, my whole body in short, are hurting today so I really should get to know some stretching exercises. Anyone knows how to stretch the pain away?

No comments:

Post a Comment