Thursday, April 26

Catching Up

I have a confession to make: I didn't continue with the jazz class. In fact, I never went back after my trial session. Even if I was 80% sure I was coming back, 20% still made a difference, plus my parents' unwanted but valid reasons against taking jazz lessons. Since the decision was finalized, it left me with no dancing but more time in my hands. What do I do?

Well, I caught up with my TV series. After all, I have been waiting the whole academic year to get up-to-date with my TV loves plus some new shows introduced by my sister and my cousin. On the line-up I have Smash, Revenge, Grimm, NCIS and The Big Bang Theory. And the list just keeps on growing. Having a cousin at home who follows thrice as many shows as I do is a blessing, except when surfing the internet.

Speaking of catching up, I have finally watched Step Up 3 in the idiot box. I just found out that the dance movie used the song Bust Your Windows in their tango routine. I was like, "Wow! We danced tango with that same song on senior year!" So nobody even cared to inform me about this coincidence? Or rather, destiny? I got goosebumps watching them tango.




Anyway.

I have spent much of my time with my eyes glued to the tube that the jazz class could have been my regular physical activity. Without it, I might as well turn into a vegetable in front of the idiot box. Cue couch potato, please.

But lo and behold, yoga and badminton came to the rescue!

And so I started absorbing bits and pieces about yoga from my mom's books and magazines. The next thing I knew I was practicing with a few of my mom's friends at a doctor's house. The doctor who owned the house was also our instructor for that session. I cannot believe my eyes when I saw how flexible she was, and at the age of around 40 and with three kids at that. I can't even reach my toes without bending my knees while she can touch the ground standing up and do splits, somersaults and headstands. Later I was informed that she had training in a yoga center in Boracay. She might as well establish a yoga center in out town, but I was again told that she needed to practice for at least four years to teach yoga professionally. I guess I already know where I'll be using my post-graduate tambay hours. Care to join?

I have a yoga mat and some new clothes to inspire me to do yoga. Now, I regularly do poses in the morning before eating breakfast. I hope I can continue this routine when school starts again.

Badminton was also helpful in getting me go physical. I like playing it because I don't have to go to a court to play it. I also can play it with anyone at home who knows how and who is available. It feels so good to run around and feel the late afternoon breeze and whack that shuttlecock hard. Oh yeah!

And that's how I have spent my summer. Plus some novels here and there. How's your summer coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment