Monday, May 16

A Parable the Priest told one Sunday

We went to mass today. I liked the story that the priest shared during his homily that I really want to share it. I'm not going to write exactly what he said because I do not have the skills to do that. What I'm going to do is to translate his Tagalog story into English and I promise to make it as precise as possible. It goes like this:

There is a rich business man walking on the seashore. After a while, he saw a fisherman lying under some trees. The rich man was shocked to see such lazy man. He called out, "My good man! Why are you lying around like that?"

"I am resting," the fisherman answered.



"Why are you resting?" asked the rich man.

"Well, sir," the fisherman explained, "I am done with my work. I have caught enough fish today. My wife has cooked the fish for our family and we have ate them. The rest of the fish, you see, my children brought to the market to sell. And now I'm relaxing."

The rich man was disconcerted. "Why don't you continue to catch fish? Sell them, earn money and buy a new banka. Then catch more fish, sell them, earn and buy your third banka. Then you'll be able to catch more and more fish, sell them, earn and buy your fourth banka! Continue working until you catch a lot of fishes, sell them, earn huge amount until you get your tenth banka," the rich man said. "Afterwards, you can start dillydallying and relax all you want!"

"Then what am I doing now, sir?" the fisherman retorted.

Shocked by the answer, the rich man was speechless and left the fisherman alone. The end.

The moral? According to the priest, always be careful in understanding the meaning of life.

And why I liked the story? Because I did not expect the moral at all, though honestly I have read the story before. And I also enjoyed how the priest delivered the story, with humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment