Friday, May 27

Summer Bike Training

My butt hurts. My legs have a lot of scratches. My hands feel worse each day. It's evident that I've been learning how to ride a bicycle.

Ever since I came home from Manila, I have been asking my parents to buy me a bicycle. I wanted to learn, before I was too old to do so. And because I was (slightly) intimidated by the people who were riding around the university campus. Know-how on riding a bike can be an advantage for me if ever I get one in Manila. I wouldn't have to ride a jeepney regularly, and I'll be having a pretty stout wallet.



Three days ago, I bought my very own bicycle, with training wheels, for less than two thousand pesos. Upon coming home, I was already on my bike. It was not an easy feat at first. I kept on stumbling, trying to pedal while keeping my balance at the same time.

Honestly, the training wheels were of little use. Every time I lean to the right, or left, I seem to go a little lower. They were initially attached to the bike as if they made an inverted "V". After less than an hour of my first use, the training wheels are already perpendicular to the back wheel. Obviously, I'm still learning how to balance myself on the bike.

Years ago, I would be toppling off my bike (that Santa gave me one Christmas), still unable to keep my balance. But now with my determination and eagerness to learn, I am already able to keep my balance. (Yehey, me!)

Since then, I have been on my bike for an hour or so a day practicing. I have not completely mastered it because I still lose my balance every now and then. But I don't mind. As long as I stay focus on what I want to happen, it will happen. My next step would be riding down a long paved road one of these days. Until then, I'll just be riding around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment