Thursday, May 19

Pinoy Henyo and Geography

My family always grab a chance to watch Pinoy Henyo at a noontime show, especially my father. The game really makes you use every neuron inside your head just  to come up with simple words as "book", "fork" or "laptop". Being fans of the game, my father and I would sometimes try our own mental capabilities if we can guess what the other wrote on the forehead.


One time, we watched Pinoy Henyo and one of the game words was "Negros Oriental". I have an idea about it since I spent 16 years of my life in Aklan, in Visayas. I could have enumerated all the Visayan provinces there is, if I were the contestant. But I wasn't. Unfortunately, the contestant just kept shouting "Aklan?" and "Marinduque?" and "Boracay?" and her partner was already panicky and kept answering "NO!"



Why does she keep repeating those places when she's already told that they are not the right answers? Would her constant shouting of the words magically change the word on her forehead and help her win?

Anyway, my dad and I were already talking about how the contestant lacked a lot of general information about the Philippines. And to think she's a Tourism student! I don't know how, but my dad somehow turned the conversation into a crash course on geography.

Honestly, I flunked out of geography in elementary and, surprisingly, I have not gotten over it. He asked me questions about the provinces and I was able to answer some, not all, correctly. Pisay ka pa naman, was the line that ended our conversation.

Now, I get to watch the map of the Philippines daily for the rest of the summer. 'Tis funny how topics change. Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment